Bill Anoatubby has served as the Governor of the Chickasaw Nation since 1987. Prior to that, he served as the first lieutenant governor from 1979-1987. Anoatubby has been active in tribal government since 1975. His previous positions include director of tribal health services, director of finance, special assistant to the governor and controller.
In 2010, under Governor Anoatubby’s leadership, the Chickasaw Nation, through its subsidiary Global Gaming RP, LLC purchased the Remington Park Racetrack and Casino in Oklahoma City, OK. In addition to the purchase of the track, Global Gaming also invested over $30 million in renovations and upgrades to the facility. Remington Park is widely recognized and renowned for conducting the world’s premier Quarter Horse race meet which annually distributes from $13 million to $15 million in purse money to racing Quarter Horses during its yearly 50 day live race meet.
Work experience prior to his involvement with the Chickasaw Nation includes managing office operations of American Plating Company and the chief accountant of Little Giant Corporation. Anoatubby received degrees in accounting and business and has taken many continuing education courses.
Today, the Chickasaw Nation employs more than 14,000 people. Funding for tribal operations has grown exponentially, tribal assets have grown two-hundredfold. Governor Anoatubby is committed to meeting the needs and desires of Chickasaw people by providing health care services, opportunities for employment and career advancement, heritage preservation, cultural preservation and growth, and the chance for every Chickasaw to obtain a higher education.
Bill and his wife Janice have two sons, Brian and Chris and five grandchildren, Brendan, Eryn, Chloe, Sydney and Preslea.
Current Leadership Positions
- American Mother’s Advisory Council, member
- American Indian Cultural Center Foundation, vice chairman
- Arkansas Riverbed Authority, member
- Dean A. McGee Board of Trustees, member
- Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes, past president
- Murray State College Foundation, member
- Native American Cultural and Educational Authority, chairman
- Oklahoma Business Roundtable Executive Committee, chairman
- Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation Board of Directors, member
- Oklahoma Hall of Fame Board of Directors, chairman
- Oklahomans for the Arts Board of Directors, member
- OU Price School of Business Board of Advisors, member
- The Goddard Center Primary Board, member
Associates Degree in Business from Murray State College, 1970
Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting from East Central University, 1972
Honorary Doctorate Degree from Bacone College, 2012
Honorary Doctorate Degree, University of Oklahoma, 2014
Honorary Doctorate Degree, Oklahoma City University, 2015
Honorary Doctorate Degree, Oklahoma State University, 2016